I’ve been writing for years. I haven’t posted anything in months. I’ve been thinking a lot about the purpose of this platform. It used to be a place for me to vent, online therapy. I’ve told you some very intimate stories; stories of overcoming my brain and an environment that sets up people for failure. I’ve waxed about failure and how that word has changed for me in the last 20 years. I’ve learned so much about myself and the world I live in. I’ve had plenty to say and am changing the way I say it. I thought about a video blog or a “periscope” situation but not sure my voice transfers to that format. I am continuing my journey and here is a few things I’ve learned lately.
- Don’t assume people are your friends. I’ve made mistakes in this category. I’ve realized that I have thousands of acquaintances but few close allies. When you make a mistake like this it’s important to remember who you are. It’s easy to get wrapped up in others’ insecurities. If they don’t wanna hitch along for the ride, that’s theie problem.
- I love the game of golf and will be playing again real soon. It’s hard for me. I am sacrificing my time for my wife and kids. I can’t think of a better excuse to not play. This isn’t meant to guilt my wife either, seriously honey.
- I love being a parent but am not very good at it yet. I work at this every day and feel like I’m getting better. There truly is no manual. What kind of Dad am I? We’ll see but I probably can guarantee that my kids won’t be my best friends, rules. I will be there though, always.
- Other than marrying my wife and the births of my kids; being an Officiant at my nephew’s wedding last year and just a few weeks ago at my cousin’s wedding is the most rewarding thing I’ve done. I put a lot of work into both of their ceremonies and am still so honored to have been involved. They are some of my favorite people.
- I really try not to judge people for shit anymore. I was going down a road of becoming a snob, whether it be beer, wine, golf, whatever. So much energy expensed coming up with insults about how others live, what an Ass. Be happy, that’s all that matters. I don’t care if Taylor Swift is your shit, do it and be yourself.
- I’ve really made an effort to stop complaining about anything that happens. We have a great life. (period)
- My phone has been broken for the last few weeks. It will be replaced soon but I have to tell you the freedom has been awesome. I can’t believe how much time I was on it. I’ve been limiting my online time to a couple times a day and somehow I feel smarter.
Well, that’s it for now. I hope I haven’t lost too many readers in my absence. It humbles me to think that so many value what I say. Cheers.